Sunday, October 10, 2004

strongest typhoon in 10 years

Originally from an old server that is now gone. Reposted in September 2006.

and thoughts about lucid dreams


Today Tokyo had the strongest typhoon in 10 years (or so they said on TV) it was really strong, rain pouring down, flooding the streets, but it seemed like Yokohama about 3 years ago so I wasnt so impressed I guess. I had wanted to see giant waves crushing down the streets, floating cars, mayhem, destruction!! wahaha! But oh well, heavy wind and rain was cool enough I guess. For awhile, while I was waiting to hang out with Marykoh, I was getting soaked even though I was wearing a coat, and using an unbrella. Solid sheets of water cascading through gusts of wind, pretty, glittering in the neon lights that glowed solid. Cool enough I guess.



I read some things on the web about lucid dreams, and I saw a movie that I cant remember the name of right now, that were saying some pretty odd things. I know I have only a few viewers, but if anyone wants to give me their thoughts on the matter I would appreciate other opinions. The articles on the web, and the movie, say that electronic machines usually fail to work in lucid dreams (one place went as far as selling an electronic device you wear to bed, one of the functions being that you can press a button to get visual/audio feedback because they said if you think your awake but you press the button and it dosent work then your sleeping... all this for only $495! some shipping charges may apply. order today!).. electronic machines not working didnt seem possible to me, I thought I used machines all the time in my sleep, but they were talking about lucid dreams I guess, and although I have had lucid dreams using computer menus as a device to switch between dream options (I know, super geek attack), I couldnt pull into my mind a time when I had used a specific digital machine like my cellphone or something while having a luicd dream (make sure we are all on the same page, a lucid dream is "a dream in which you are aware of the fact that you are dreaming") ... So thats why I decided to have a lucid dream for exactly that reason, but thats when my annoying mind comes into play. I often have lucid dreams of some percent (90% would be god-like control of my dreams and 5% would be a soft understanding that I am dreaming with little or no control) but for some reason when I wanted to have one, I didnt. (Or atleast less than 5%) The next day I did some mental excersises (ok, I know, starting to sound like a lucid dream freak) and had a lucid dream that night (not a strong one, just enough to control my actions) and pulled out my cellphone... and what do you know, it worked fine. It seemed a little different, the menus were brighter than they should be, flatter seeming more like paper I guess, but it was my cellphone none the less. So I'm wondering now if lists of things "you cant do" in a lucid dream are just things that reflect the specific experiences of the dreamer. (For example, hidden fears of digital technology might manifest as not working machines when you dream?) Or maybe if your told you cant do something, then you cant do it in your dreams because you think you cant? I'm not sure. Anyone else able to use electronic machines while lucid dreaming? Or even in normal dreams? Other things on the list was it being really hard to turn on lights in dark rooms (something about the visual cortex having a hard time with this) and looking at numbers is hard to do with out making the numbers "swim" and looking at sentences and then looking away and then looking again and having the same sentence isnt possible... thats what their list said anyway, seems a little bit like if you belive its true then it will be true, because its your mind... but the mind does have limits, and the sleeping mind is shutoff from the whole use of the brain (so that we dont go whacky while sleeping) so maybe somethings arent possible... any feedback from my two webpage viewers/guests? Anyway, even if I'm talking into the wind, I find it fascinating. Weird minds we all have.

SAMPAI JUMPA LAGI



02:40:00 | permalink | comments (1)


add a comment

I can specifically remember electronic devices not working in dreams, but I can't specifically remember a time that they have. That isn't to say that they haven't, because if they worked fine, then it wouldn't stick out so that I'd remember it.
Aaron

 
All original content CC 2002-2012 BY NC SA - first design from dilarangmelarang altered by neonvirus and thunderbunny.