Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Early in the morning

Originally from an old server that is now gone. Reposted in September 2006.

a million random thoughts



I love Japan, and I already feel sad about going to Korea... (although Korea will be great too!) but its signs like the one above (orginally posted to my Keitai Current moblog) that make me realize some people here need to grow mentally. Could you imagine a sign in Canada (for example!) saying "No Japanese unless accompanied by a Canadian"?! I ran across this sign (posted at a weird club we didnt go to) while hanging out with my friend Marykoh in a dark area of Ikebukuro.



More details about my job in Korea were emailed to me by the person recruiting me for the job, and this is what he had to say...

The job condition is:

Salary : 2.0 million won per month.
Working hours : 11am - 6 Pm
Elementary level students.
Vacation : 7days of paid vacation per year and ,
If you wish : You can get the whole August off, and Dec/22nd - Feb/22nd off for unpaid vacation.

50% medical insurance provided.
The position is in Central part of Seoul, in the Jong-ro area.

Instead of housing, they provide housing allowance of 400,000 won per month, which is plenty to get a room for yourself anyplaces.



Good to hear more details... now apparently I have to hunt down my orginal diploma (something I didnt need for my Job here in Japan. They only wanted my transcripts here...) and other stuff to do the paper work for getting my visa... I plan to go over to Korea around the first week of October. More on that stuff as it pulls itself out of nothing and becomes something. Elementary school kids... aaah! scary?! ^o^



I have been going on some major infodiving trips, and I present for the enjoyment of the three readers of my site... the treasures!

I recently stumbled apone Turkish Spiderman (Turkish Star Wars led me to it) and was amazed by its pure crap level. 100% utter beautiful stinking amazing crap. I can now say that it is one of my favorate movies of all time now. Its brilliant, weird, shocking and utterly pointless. Ahh, a master work of art... If you're too lazy to click links here is your one sentence summary: Turkish Spiderman is a fiendish 1970s low-budget ripoff of the spiderman comics produced by a Turkish movie company that somehow got a few important details mixed up, for example spiderman is a bad guy! (the above link gives a great summary of this wonderful movie, also known by its orginal Turkish name 3 dev adam, but if you dont mind having the story spoiled and want a full very funny "play-by-play" of this movie check out this link.) I think this movie should have a special edition DVD.



I find it weird that I actually really want to watch a George Lucas movie... although, it is actually an old movie.. his first to be correct... he has just edited it in the way he does recently, but in this case it seems to have made a modern movie out of an old good idea that suffered from no-budget. Interesting.



Talking to a computer for an hour and a half with out realizing it? Someone reprogrammed an old (1960s?) A.I. computer application to talk with random people on an instant message service... some of the conversations almost seem like real conversations, check them out... weird. (source) This reminded me of when I programmed some simple "smart random" A.I. things with, at first, BASIC and then Visual BASIC a long time ago when I was younger and knew more about computers. It is a little creepy when you begin to talk to the computer, even more when you programmed it yourself but it feels real. I remember conversations something like:

Me: Are you a computer?

Computer: Of course.

Me: Are you real??

Computer: I think so.

Me: Are you just answering randomly???

Computer: Yes.

And of course that was random (although my programs would parse what the user typed too, so they werent 100% random) but it would freak me out sometimes. It's ALIVE!



I recently love Wikipedia (free online dictionary everyone makes together) its slowly removing the idea that the web only has surface information, its becoming a very deep source for infodiving. (By the way, watch for that word to be used now that I coined it.) In fact did you know about the movement to call New Zealand by the local Maori name of Aotearoa? Did you know that name means The Land of Big White Cloud? I think that name makes a lot more sense anyways, since New Zealand was just some random name thrown at the island by a european sailor who didnt even know the island.



Anyway, the light is begining to come in my window and I can hear morning birds. Its really not so healthy to stay up this late I guess. Best wishes for the world... DAAG!





06:20:00 | permalink | comments (5)


add a comment

diego... I hope you were joking, in any case, its a good point... signs like that treat foreign people like KIDS, as less than equal.. make any sense? .... and aaron, i mean, noexit.. if you read the dang entry you would know where that sign was :p hehe daaang
Dansen


In possible defense for the sign, perhaps they didn't want to deal with foreigners who might not know how to act in that establishment. Don't get me wrong, it's still very exclusionary, but it could be like the signs in some stores that say kids can't be unaccompained by adults.

Hey, I read the Turkish Spiderman/Santo/Captain America thing and it was hilarious! Awesome!

For some reason, 2 million won sounds like a lot, though it probably isn't. A million of anything sounds like a lot!
Diego


I wouldn't go into a club that had one of those signs either. Happy moving... you'll probably love living in Korea, so don't fret. I'll have to check out that web encyclopedia another time, or I'll end up hearing birds chirp before get to bed.
Steph


Wow! You'll be a millionaire!
Joe Schmoe


Where was that sign?
Noexit

 
All original content CC 2002-2012 BY NC SA - first design from dilarangmelarang altered by neonvirus and thunderbunny.