Tuesday, July 15, 2003

a trip to the market, still wanting to teach, and an awesome tshirt

I went to the market with Kayo and her sister Mari (I am staying with them until I get a place of my own). I thought it would be fun to post some pictures of that on my diary. On your left is the main entrence of the food market (in the basement of a shopping center, like many markets over here.) Notice the yen sign on the upper left of the picture, thats the cashier. In the other picture Kayo and Mari are trying to decide which meat to get... if your still interested, feel free to check out bigger pictures of what I call the 'solids aisle' (in the solids picture, look to your right..see the 'roll back' just like the signs in Walmart in America??! Thats because this market chain was bought by Walmart but not forced to change most things... interstingly they did use the roll back sign thing though.) and the 'fruits aisle' (in that fruit picture, notice the yummy watermellon!) I suppose the market isn't so different than a market in America, although a little more fresh and smaller I guess.

In other news... I'm still waiting for NOVA to call back. It hasn't got to their deadline yet, so I guess they might still want me for a teacher. I guess I should start looking at some more 'other options' too. I really want to start teaching soon, so I hope I find something.

This last weekend I traveled out to Kanagawa to visit the 5 year old girl (and her wonderful mum, Yoshiko, and her husband, and their new little kid) Mio who was one of my students 3 years ago, when I was working illegally as a teacher (I wish I could put that kind of stuff on my resume!)... it was fun to see them all again, and they let me stay the night and fed me yummy food. On my way back to Shinjuku area I stopped by and hung out with another Mio (this one is about my age, a friend from school)... and that was cool too, hadn't seen her in about a year I guess!

And I also had my first major experience with a 'Japanese Version of English' T-shirt. (I mean, an incorrect, but funny, Tshirt... and in case your wondering there are tons of examples of 'English versions of Japanese' when we try to use Japanese in the states but write it wrong!) ... anyway, it was a Tshirt with big letters and a muscle man on it. The words said....:

knowledge & power
My Ass
try to make the
best of a bud
situation.

It was so cool... I wanted it so bad, but I dont have the money right now, but I made a note of where it was (mental note: 4th floor of Seibushinjuku Pepe, back row of surf goods shop) and I will get it when I have the money... oh yeah! If your interested, I think I know what the intended message was. Sometimes Japanese people say 'yap' instead of 'yup' so I think one of the vowels was switched, and some of it was shortened in weird ways, so maybe it should be:

knowledge & power
My Ass[ingment]
[is to] try to make the
best of a b[a]d
situation.

Anyway, it was cool, ya, ya.

So I've been just living day to day in the crowd known as Tokyo-area... Syrinx and Trenchy (clearly those are not their real names, but since I dont know if they want me to use their real names, I just used those) are talking about coming to Japan and working as teachers. Last I heard, they intended to work in some small tiny town in Japan. I think that would be lots of fun, but I cant help but wonder if they will be missing the amazing interconected weaved mix of the Tokyo-area. I cant really explain it, but it just feels like such an amazing mass of people and stuff. I wrote a poem (!) about it, and in an effort to make my internet diary very open to the public, I will be offering it here. Its kinda "dark & moody" so dont think I'm not having fun. It was just a flavor, I hope you enjoy:



The 

Noise is an ever present

tactile sensation,

almost solid

in the ears

it becomes

more,

an essence,

an ever closer

grip of chaos,

threatening to grow

so large

it will erase

the mind,

like a fly

resting on a branch

moments before

spinning off

into the air

Anyway, there you go. I also wrote a poem in Japanese recently, but maybe I will have to post that on my Japanese diary page or something.

Anyway, life keeps on going. Please click the comments link that follows and give thoughts about this entry in my diary!! DAAG!!

0 comments:

 
All original content CC 2002-2012 BY NC SA - first design from dilarangmelarang altered by neonvirus and thunderbunny.